Thursday 18 August 2016

Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhanwalia died in Pondicherry on 18 August 1887.








  • Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhanwalia died in Pondicherry on 18 August 1887. An immediate telegram informing about his death was sent from Simla (Shimla) headquarters of the Viceroy to the London office. Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhanwalia was the Prime Minister of the Government-in-exile formed by Maharaja Duleep Singh and the founder and first President of the Singh Sabha movement. 
  • As per the revelations made by Christy Campbell, the author of "The Maharajah's Box", Sardar Thakur Singh was poisoned by a British Intelligence Agent named Aziz-ud-din.
  • Maharaja Duleep Singh upon receiving the news of Thakur Singh's death wrote in a letter:"I regret to say that I have had a telegram from Pondicherry saying that my cousin is dead. His death is a very great loss to me. It is like my right arm being cut off. I do not know what I shall do without him in India now".
  • Maharaja Duleep Singh however continued his struggle along with his adopted sons i.e. Gurbachan Singh, Narinder Singh and Gurdit Singh Sandhanwalia(natural sons of Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhanwalia) till he was paralysed in 1890.
  • For more information kindly refer 'The Maharajah's Box' by Christy Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment